The Haven story...
Haven is a web-based center for global studies based on personal inquiry, dialogue, collaboration and inspired action and service.
Beginning December 1, 2000 we are inviting 8 explorers to join us on our Edge-ucator's Path (minimum 5 month commitment).
Haven is a collaborative creativity environment dedicated to exploring edge-ucation, right livelihood and sustainable business, deep ecology, and the interconnections between these broad topics. It is organized around a circle of councils and dialogues. Features about best practices, and interviews and online gatherings with explorers, designers and mentors are other key components of Haven. Real-time events like Earth Day Online and the Earth Stories Project give the larger Haven community unique opportunities for deeper involvement, and add the all-important magic ingredients, Joy and Celebration. First and foremost, we map pathways through the vast and constantly growing resources on the web that can be useful jumping off points for netizens crafting healthy lives and communities. We are especially dedicated to encouraging and assisting young people in the life-crafting process.
In the various zones of Haven you'll discover a gallery of art, fiction, poetry and performance, several e-zines, the greentrade space where a unique group of businesses offer their services, and a number of special projects.
The Fool's Zone--glimpses of edge-ucation, past, present and future
Pukanu Village & the Web--creating sustainable business in the rain forest
Teknofemme--offers young women strong female role models using the tools of technology to improve their communities. Interviews with scientists, computer animators, documentary film makers, etc.
Beginner's Mind-- interviews with young people who have started their own businesses
The Green Times --an ezine featuring examples of deep ecology and sustainable practices
The Earth Stories Project--stories, art, poetry in celebration of the Earth contributed by netizens
Current areas of exploration and inquiry
- What are the most significant elements of successful collaboration?
- What insights can visionary edge-ucators and the movements initiated by their visions contribute to the design of learning communities today?
- What's in the near future of the web? (previews of Internet 2 and beyond)
- Can an understanding of your brain wave states significantly affect the quality of your life?
- Who is revolutionizing how we learn mathematics and how are they doing it?
- What are the most unique and valuable websites created by young people for young people?
- What is the new vocabulary to replace words that may have outlived their usefulness (teacher, student, school, mentor, etc.)?
- In what areas of the world is access to computers and the Internet still a major issue?
- How can Internet access support indigenous people?
- What does the Fool have to do with edge-ucation?
- What are more essential variations of these initial questions?
- What does sustainability mean anyway? (evolving a definition to guide us in intelligent design)
- What are emerging best practices of sustainable business?
- Case study: sustainable business and the rainforest - issues and alternatives for indigenous communities in Brazil, Bolivia and Peru
- What insights do young entrepreneurs have to share about creating new paradigm business?
- What IS right livelihood and how do you find or create it?
- Case study: micro loans, sustainable business and Indian women
- The history of the deep ecology movement--an examination of the ideas of Aldo Leopold, Lewis Mumford, Rachel Carson, Arne Naess, Dolores LaChapelle, Winona
LaDuke and others
- What are the most critical issues facing us today and what are the best sources to identify these issues?
- What relationship does systems thinking and the new science have to deep ecology?
- What does the practice of deep ecology look like in an individual life, an organization, a community, a nation, the planet?
- What shifts in thinking and values are necessary to create a deeply ecological new paradigm?
- What is the relationship of ethics to deep ecology? (an exploration into the evolution of ethics, personal and planetary)